You all have come into my office and told me…
▪ We’re the largest supplier.
▪ We’re the niche provider.
▪ Our product comes in every color in the rainbow.
▪ Our company specializes in certain distinct colors.
▪ We are the pioneers of our industry.
▪ We are the leading-provider in our space.
▪ We are a family-owned business.
▪ We are a publicly-traded company.
▪ We’ve been in business 25 years.
▪ We are locally-based.
▪ We have offices around the globe.
▪ We are the fastest.
▪ We have the best quality.
Some of your sales colleagues grouped these statements into an elevator pitch.
“We are the largest provider offering products in every color in the rainbow. We are the pioneers of our industry and are family-owned. We are locally-based and have the highest quality products.”
By telling me these information nuggets, you thought you differentiated yourself from your competition, but you didn’t. We finished our meeting and I still don’t know why any of the information you presented matters to me.
If you truly want to stand out from your competitors, I want to know one thing and only one thing.
Lee B. Salz is a leading sales management strategist specializing in helping companies build scalable, high-performance sales organizations through hiring the right salespeople, effectively onboarding them, and aligning their sales activities with business objectives through process, metrics and compensation. He is the Founder and CEO of Sales Architects, Business Expert Webinars and The Revenue Accelerator. Lee has authored several books including award-winning, best-seller “Hire Right, Higher Profits.” He is a results-driven sales management consultant and a passionate, dynamic speaker . Lee can be reached at lsalz@SalesArchitects.net or 763.416.4321.