When revenue isn’t where it should be, the kneejerk reaction is to hire a sales trainer. Listen to this episode of the Sales Management Minute to learn the five keys to a great sales training experience.
Revenue isn’t where everyone wants it to be. The kneejerk reaction is to bring in a sales trainer. This isn’t Disney. There’s no magic wands. Yet, a sales training engagement can be a great first step toward improving performance if you consider the five keys to a successful sales training engagement.
1. Define what type of sales trainer is needed. At one end of the spectrum is the motivational speaker. At the other end is the pure skills trainer and there are variations in between. Know what you what you need before selecting a trainer.
2. Set realistic expectations for the engagement. The keyword here is realistic. With the sales trainer, define success for the engagement so you are both on the same page.
3. Identify a focus area for the training. Select the areas of your process where improvement is desired rather than having a training buffet. The operative word here is focus.
4. Develop a plan for reinforcement. The trainer is gone after the engagement. If you don’t develop a reinforcement program, don’t bother hiring a sales trainer. You will never see a return on the investment.
5. Consider your budget. This is one of the common sales trainer hiring disconnects. Sales managers preach that they want salespeople to sell value, but they often make sales training decisions based on price. Just like you tell your sales people, you get what you pay for.
See you next time on the Sales Management Minute.
AUTHOR: LEE B. SALZ
Lee B. Salz is a leading sales management strategist specializing in helping companies build scalable, high-performance sales organizations through hiring the right salespeople, effectively onboarding them, and aligning their sales activities with business objectives through process, metrics and compensation. He is the Founder and CEO of Sales Architects, Business Expert Webinars and The Revenue Accelerator. Lee has authored several books including award-winning, best-seller “Hire Right, Higher Profits.” He is a results-driven sales management consultant and a passionate, dynamic speaker . Lee can be reached at lsalz@SalesArchitects.net or 763.416.4321.