In this episode of the Sales Management Minute, learn the business case for launching a salesperson onboarding program development initiative.
When it comes to launching a salesperson onboarding program development initiative, executives stop in their tracks as they see it as the dreaded 4-letter word… WORK! That’s the perception problem with onboarding. It’s not work. It’s an investment. It’s an investment that impacts both the top and bottom line of the company.
Here are 6 reasons to create a structured onboarding program for your new salespeople.
1. They sell faster. Salespeople left to figure it out on their own take forever to generate revenue.
2. They sell more. During onboarding you teach them how to sell everything your company has to offer.
3. Reduces seller failure. Performance (or a lack of it) is the most common reason for turnover in a salesperson’s first year. Onboarding minimizes those instances.
4. Protects your brand. Onboarding prevents those embarrassing situations whereby a salesperson misrepresents your products to prospects and clients.
5. Expands your candidate horizons. Having a structured onboarding program expands your candidate pool to include those outside your industry so you recruit top talent, not industry retreads.
6. Attracts top salespeople. As you look across the table wondering how the salesperson will get up to speed, guess what? So is she! Onboarding gives both of you confidence in the success of the relationship.
These six benefits make a strong business case for creating a structured onboarding experience for your new salespeople. Remember, you aren’t hiring great salespeople. You are making a revenue investment in those with the potential to be great on your sales team. That potential is only achieved when a structured onboarding program is in place.
See you next time on the Sales Management Minute.
AUTHOR: LEE B. SALZ
Lee B. Salz is a leading sales management strategist specializing in helping companies build scalable, high-performance sales organizations through hiring the right salespeople, effectively onboarding them, and aligning their sales activities with business objectives through process, metrics and compensation. He is the Founder and CEO of Sales Architects, Business Expert Webinars and The Revenue Accelerator. Lee has authored several books including award-winning, best-seller “Hire Right, Higher Profits.” He is a results-driven sales management consultant and a passionate, dynamic speaker . Lee can be reached at lsalz@SalesArchitects.net or 763.416.4321.